The Macintel Report
The Macintel Report is a weekly roundup of Mac-on-Intel news compiled by Charles Moore . For desktop Mac and general Apple news, see The Mac News Review. For iBook, PowerBook, and other portable news, see The 'Book Review.
- New Mac mini imminent?, Mac Pro beats Dell prices, Intel improves Mac appeal, and more, 2006.08.31. Intel diminishes differences between Macs and Windows PCs, Core 2 notebooks debut, Merom Core 2 benchmarks, and more.
- Merom too hot for 'Books - or coming in September?, Apple grows notebook market, classic Mac OS on Macintel, and more, 2006.08.24. One Windows user almost ready to go Mac because of Mac Pro, Boot Camp updated, and two vendors working on Intel support.
- Mac Pro vs. G5 Quad, Mac faithful 'more impressed by form than function', Mac Pro configuration, and more, 2006.08.17. Also Core vs. Core 2, new horizons for the Macintel era, Mac OS Forge launches, and more.
- Quad-core 64-bit Mac Pro and Xserve, MacBook Pro Core 2 rumors, VMware for Macintel, and more, 2006.08.08. Apple has completed its Intel transition with quad-core Xserve and Mac Pro models, which have 64-bit support lacking in earlier Macintel models.
- Core 2 'world's best processor', but when will it come to the Mac?, 2006.08.03. Intel's Core 2 CPUs begin shipping this month, and the PC world is bound to have Core 2 desktops and notebooks by the end of the month. How soon will Apple make the move?
- Boot Camp means Windows voodoo, Core 2 Quad due in Q4, creating a PowerPC/Intel boot drive, and more, 2006.07.27. Also, a Mac user who switched to Windows circa 1995 is looking seriously at Macintel hardware, Intel is pushing dual-core everywhere, and 'Montecito' could be Itanium's last chance.
- Apple selling Parallels, updates Boot Camp; Intel Core 2 'fastest desktop processor'; 'Woodcrest' expected in Mac Pro, 2006.07.20. Apple Stores are now selling Parallels Desktop, why "Woodcrest" will probably power the next pro Mac, and reviewers impressed with Core 2 CPUs.
- Windows on Intel Macs will/won't grow market, Parallels Desktop review and tips, and return of the Itanic, 2006.07.13. Analysts divided on impact of Intel migration and support for Windows, Leopard won't include virtualization, notebook sales pick up after CPU price cuts, and Itanium 2 stumbles forward.
- Run Windows apps without Windows, 2.33 GHz Core Duo shipping, Parallels Desktop review, and more, 2006.07.06. CrossOver will allow Macintel users to run Windows apps without Windows, the fastest Core Duo to date is shipping, Macworld looks at Parallels Desktop, and more.
- Core 2 performance coming to the Mac, Intel version of Darwin closed, IBM's 500 GHz chip, and more, 2006.06.29. Also Fink now universal, Intel's plans for 10-core CPUs, and 65nm chip production surpasses 90nm production.
- Core 2 to hit 3.2 GHz this year, Apple 80% Intel, new Intel GPU adds high def video support, and more, 06.15. Intel has more efficient chips in the queue, the new satisfaction per Watt metric, Intel working on water cooling, and Intel targets the low-end PC market with Core 2 and cheap Pentiums.
- Core 2 paves way for Mac Pro, Core 2 benchmarked, Parallels Desktop release candidate, and more, 2006.06.08. Intel's new Core 2 chips point to more powerful Macs, Intel's new chipsets abandon parallel ATA, the Mac vs. PC difference, and a step-by-step guide to using Boot Camp.
- Should Apple delay Mac Pro?, Intel Core 2 Solo, Windows on Mac ebook, and more, 2006.06.01. Why Apple might benefit from postponing the Power Mac replacement, Intel's pursuit of the cutting edge, and Macintel POST error codes.
- Apple shuns 'superstar' PowerPC startup, Intel Core speed bumps and price cuts, and more, 2006.05.25. Also MacBook puts Apple on target to meet or beat earnings projections, guide to taking "the Macintel plunge", Intel's new vPro chip, and startup key combos for Intel Macs.
- No sub-$1,000 'Books, Core Duo overclocked to 3.8 GHz, another Windows on Mac contender, and more, 2006.05.18. MacBook eliminates last $999 iBook, Intel Macs are two computers in one, Apple got Intel right, Intel pushing Centrino 4, and more.
- Intel Core 2 Duo to ship in July, can a Power Mac replacement be far behind?, 2006.05.11. Intel rebrands "Conroe" and "Merom" as Core 2 Duo, and the debate over Apple's motivation behind Boot Camp continues.
- Apple embraces Dark Side, Book Camp kicks butt, Intel 90% dual-core by year end, and more, 2006.05.04. More thoughts on Windows on Macs, Parallels Workstation reaches Beta 6, and Intel plans new CPU architecture every two years.
- WinXP a real alternative to PPC apps on Macintel, Intel launches Pro PC brand, and more, 2006.04.27. More Win-on-Mac news, Photoshop for Macintel due in 2007, new Gateway laptop runs 1.06 GHz Core Solo, AMD-Intel antitrust trial approaching, and more.
- Core Duo price drop coming, slower Core Solos shipping in Japan, problems with Boot Camp, and more, 2006.04.20. Your OS X partition should be safe from Windows viruses, lots of discussion of Boot Camp, and more on Parallels Workstation.
- Boot Camp works well, virtualization is better, Apple 'the next Dell'?, and more, 2006.04.12. Why dual boot when you can run OS X and Windows concurrently with Parallels Workstation? Also, lots of thoughts and reviews of Boot Camp, the 'No Windows-booting Pledge', and more.
- Boot Camp: Apple officially supports Windows XP booting on Macintel hardware, 2006.04.06. No more need to do any hacks to get WinXP booting on Apple's Intel-based Macs. Apple's new Boot Camp software fully supports it.
- Windows on Macintel a nightmare or blessing?, Adobe's transition challenge, quad-core Intel CPUs in 2007, and more, 2006.03.30. Also, it's easy to get OS X for Intel running on a Dell, WinXP benchmarked on Macintel, Intel's new 3.73 GHz Dual-core Pentium, and more.
- WinXP boots on Macintel, real world thinking about Rosetta performance, and Intel's impact on future Macs, 2006.03.23. If you want to run Windows XP on Macintel hardware, it's now possible. Also, common sense thinking about Rosetta speed and how Intel's future CPU plans will shape the Mac.
- 1,000 Intel native apps, Intel unleashes OS X, the ultramobile future, flash RAM for notebooks, and more, 2006.03.16. Also another project to get Linux and WinXP running on Intel Macs and lots of developments on the Intel CPU front.
- 2.16 GHz Mac mini upgrade, benchmarks, inside the Intel mini, a slew of new Intel CPUs, and more, 2006.03.09. Dropping a 2.16 GHz CPU into a Core Solo Mac mini, Macs Only benchmarks the 1.83 GHz Mac mini Core Duo, half of Apple's line is now Intel, and new CPU announcements from Intel.
- Mac mini gets Intel Core, Windows XP on Macintel, and OS X 10.4.5 cracked for generic Intel, 2006.03.02. The new Intel-based Mac mini changes more than just the CPU, VMware lets Intel Macs run Windows XP very comfortably, and the latest version of OS X for Intel has already been hacked.
- Apple vs. OSx86, what Intel transition means to Apple, Linux running on Macintel, and more, 2006.02.23. Also Intel to phase out parallel ATA, Intel pushing for 3G wireless on notebooks, and Microsoft testing fix for Core Duo power drain bug.
- MacBook Pro ships, graphics problems with Intel iMacs, future Intel CPUs, and more, 2006.02.16. Also USB 2.0 power management problems with Core Duo and Windows, OS X 10.4.4 hacked to run on Intel PCs, Windows virtualization on Macintel contest, and more.
- Intel Core Duo vs. PowerPC G5, time to buy Macintel? Adobe apps coming to Intel late, and more, 2006.02.09. Benchmarks compare Macintel to G5 models, when is it time to switch?, Apple's ads make things awkward for Intel, and Adobe in no hurry to support Macintel users.
- Mac sales sluggish or strong?, does Intel mean Macintel badware?, WinXP on Macintel contest, and more, 2006.02.02. Also when to move to Macintel, the "Intel nativeness" monkey wrench, OS X 10.4.4 printer drivers, Intel's 45nm success, and more.
- Intel anticipation slowed Mac sales, Rosetta RAM hungry, 34 known problems in Core Duo, and more, 2006.01.26. Also component cost of the new iMac, no Classic support on Macintel, Intel stuns market by missing sales target, and more.
- Intel inside - so what?, Intel upset over 'dull and boring' ad, specialists bullish on Macintel, and more, 2006.01.19. Also, Apple neutral about Windows on Intel Macs, multiboot questions, why Apple chose ATI over Nvidia for Macintel models, developers move forward, and more.
- First Macintels shown at Expo, Macintel software, Intel may see earnings lift with Apple, and more, 2006.01.11. Intel Core Duo based iMac shipping, MacBook Pro to ship next month. More on Intel's new family of processors.
- Mac developers ready for Macintel, Intel to help design Macintel mobos?, Intel 'leaps ahead', and more, 2006.01.05. Intel's new 'Core' branding, Macintel prospects, Apple and Intel join on HD TV spec, Yonah performance preview, and more.
- Will Apple market 'Intel Inside'?; 'Napa' platform popular, but will Apple use it?; and more, 2005.12.22. Also the pressure is on Apple to release the first Macintel hardware and NEC shows the first 'Yonah' notebook.
- Yonah to launch in January, new Macs to follow?, widescreen iBook rumors, and more, 2005.12.15. Also a Macintel transition special report, Apple shines for Intel, new CPU technology from Intel and AMD, and more.
- January Macintel debut or not, PowerPC and Linux in Apple's future?, Intel's 8-core CPU plans, and more, 2005.12.08. Also how Apple could combat OS X hacking, Yonah performance preview, Intel's codename plans end Pentium, and more.
- Intro to OS virtualization, flash-based Macs rumored, end of media drives, Intel invests in flash memory, and more, 2005.12.01. Also BBEdit ready for Macintels, will Apple rush Macintels to market?, and the road ahead for Intel's P4, Celeron, and Centrino.
- 'Yonah' to ship at 2.16 GHz, diskless Macintel future?, virtualization and switching, and more, 2005.11.23. Also your future Mac with Intel, Intels' new multi-GPU chipset, and Intel files to trademark 'Intel Core'.
- Macintels to debut at Macworld?, what to expect from Macintel, and Intel's virtualization technology arrives, 2005.11.17. Rampant speculation that Apple will unveil Macintel hardware at the Expo in January, OS X on Intel and hardware sales, and virtualization allows multiple operating systems to run concurrently.
- OS X 'to fly' on Intel, Intel OS X catches up to PowerPC version, Dell on Apple, and more, 2005.11.10. Why OS X will be unleashed on Intel hardware, Apple on target to announce new 'Books in first half of 2006, building a $200 OSx86 Mac, and more.
- Blips in Intel's roadmap, dual-core Xeon, PA Semi's dual-core PowerPC for laptops, and more, 2005.11.03. Blips in Intel's dual-core plans, dual-core Xeon for 4-way and higher systems, Macworld UK readers relaxed about Intel switch, new dual-core PowerPC perfect for laptops, and Apple's switch won't change IBM's PowerPC plans.
- Apple's 2006 line, Intel transition questions, Intel talks up Merom and Yonah, and more, 2005.10.27. Also Intel's new $650m chip fab and clueless Apple employees on the switch to Intel.
- Yonah may draw more power than expected, OS X on 4 dual-core Intel CPUs, x86 a bad decision, and more, 2005.10.13. Also the future of the Mac, confusing array of Intel CPUs planned for 2006, and VARS find they must do Windows.
- Intel Macs to ship before new CPUs?, OS X on Intel locked to Apple hardware, dual core thoughts, and more, 2005.09.29. Will Intel have new CPUs ready in time for Apple's June 2006 Macintel launch? Also new transition articles, continued improvements in lower power processing.
- Transition 'on track', why Intel (not AMD), Intel's $40 chips, lower power CPUs, and more, 2005.09.22. Macintels on target for June 2006, Apple boosts development efforts, Intel's cost of chip production, more efficient CPUs, new Apple patent, and DigitalLife.
- Apple locks out clones, Intel switch bodes well for Apple, and transition won't be easy for some, 2005.09.15. OS X 10.4.2 for Intel stymies OSx86, efficient CPUs and optimize libraries should help spike Apple sales, Intel switch a challenge to some developers, and more.
- Intel preps OS X tools, Apple locks in G4 chip supply, and new CPUs more efficient than Pentium 4, 2005.09.01. Intel porting software tools to OS X, Apple to buy G4s through 2008, next generation Intel CPUs to be more efficient than today's, and AMD Opteron less power hungry than Intel Xeon.
- Intel moving to lower power, lower speed, cooler, more efficient CPUs; Apple vs. OSx86; and more, 2005.08.25. Intel's new CPU roadmap, Mac developers taking to Intel, and more on the Macintel future.
- OS X hacked and running on Wintel PCs, don't sweat Trusted Computing, Intel's CPU roadmap, and more, 2005.08.04. PC geeks discovering the joys of OS X on their existing hardware, Intel cuts Pentium 4 prices, and more.
- The Trusted Computing controversy, Apple's Macintel business model, OS X on the brink, and more, 2005.08.11. Also, new Intel developments, Macintel and Windows, Apple fails 'smell test', and more.
- Apple recruiting Sony engineers, Trusted Computing on Macintels, halo effect intact, and more, 2005.08.04. Also, Apple and Dell united on Intel; Centrino, Celeron price drops, memory controllers in future CPUs, and more.
- Developer systems impress, expanding the Mac base, vague transition plans, first Intel 45nm fab, and more, 2005.07.28. Resellers unsure about Intel transition, why Apple chose Intel over IBM, tomorrow's CPUs, and more.
- Apple's rush to judgement, Intel transition myths, IBM shows dual core and low power G5, and more, 2005.07.14. Mac mini and 'Books expected as first Macintels, Intel and the iPod, breaking the Wintel duopoly, killing the Mac, and more.
- Core compatibility, Pentium M destined for Macintel?, Firefox ready for Intel Macs, future Intel CPUs, and more, 2005.07.07. Also running OS X and Windows on the same computer, IBM says it could meet Apple's needs, the inaccuracy of online surveys, and more.
- PowerPC Macs obsolete?, Apple to exit hardware biz?, Intel Macs look 'normal' inside, and more, 2005.06.30. Also, CodeWeavers eases developers' transition, iMac and Mac mini expected to be first Intel Macs, photonics for faster chips, and more.
- Dell wants OS X, Apple's switch to Intel a good idea, IBM sheds no tears, WiFi on a CPU, and more, 2005.06.23. End of MHz wars good for Apple, Macintel triple-threat, transition to Intel may cool Mac sales, and more.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ