Low End Mac presents iBasics, tips on getting the most out of your Mac, by Michel Munger.
is a journalist who lives in Montréal. He discovered the Mac in 1994, and his work on a PC reminds him every day why he embraced Apple's platform. Munger also writes iBasics and has authored some MacDaniel columns. He wrote On the Flip Side for The Mac Observer.
You can learn more about him on his personal website.
- Entourage, the best overall email software on the market, 2005.12.08. Microsoft's email client is easy to use, integrates with Office, is sluggish, and can only be purchased as part of Office.
- Eudora, the Mac's most powerful email client, 2005.12.01. If you're looking for lots of power and don't mind an unconventional interface, give Eudora a try.
- Thunderbird, a free, powerful alternative to Mail, 2005.11.17. If you're looking for a flexible, powerful, customizable alternative to Apple's Mail app, take a look at Thunderbird.
- Simple strategies to minimize and filter spam, 2005.10.28. You probably can't eliminate spam completely, but you can try to reduce how much you get and automate spam managment.
- Remove red eye in Photoshop in five easy steps, 2005.10.19. If you have Photoshop, you can eliminate red eye from your photos quickly and easily.
- Simple backup strategies for Mac users, 2005.10.12. Whether you only have your personal data to back up or need to backup your entire hard drive, here's how to do it.
- Beef up your Mac's security, 2005.09.15. Mac OS X is already a lot more secure than Windows. Here are several tips that let you further protect yourself and your Mac.
- Organize your files and never lose track of them in OS X, 2005.09.01. Create a filing system the works for you and other tips for OS X users.
- Become a Mac Mail power user, 2005.08.24. How and why to use IMAP - and eight other useful features in Apple's email software.
- Fine tune iTunes for superior sound quality, 2005.08.18. Why you want to use AAC, picking the right bit rate, burning CDs, and using the iTunes equalizer.
- Unleash the Power of Safari, 2005.08.10. Safari's powerful features include RSS feeds, SnapBack, emailing a page to a friend, private browsing, and much more.
- Powerful Finder features you may not be using, 2005.08.03. How to use smart folders, burnable folders, the sidebar, Automator, Fast User Switching, and other Finder features to become more productive.
- Firefox, Camino, Opera, or OmniWeb: Which is the best Safari alternative?, 2005.07.27. Four alternative browsers for Mac OS X users. Which is best?
- Mac maintenance, part 3: Testing your hardware, 2005.07.14. Using TechTool Pro and other utilities to verify that your hardware is working properly.
- Mac maintenance, part 2: Optimizing OS X performance, 2005.07.06. How to get the most out of OS X by adding RAM, reducing your program load, and cleaning up your hard drive.
- Mac maintenance, part 1: Protect your hard drive and data, 2005.06.29. "It's important to maintain your hard drive because your operating system, your software, and your data resides on it."
- Squeezing the most out of StuffIt Deluxe, part 2, 2001.10.10. Some of the powerful features of StuffIt Deluxe 6.5.
- Squeezing the most out of StuffIt Deluxe, part 1, 2001.10.04. An introduction to the power and flexibility of StuffIt Deluxe.
- Uncluttered organization, 2001.08.29. Two free file launchers to organize your Mac and unclutter your desktop.
- Avoid Mac obsolescence, 2001.08.22. Picking the right computer, software, and peripherals to delay obsolescence.
- Portables for dummies, 2001.08.01. Security and other field tips for iBook and PowerBook users.
- Ergonomics tips to avoid pain and stress, 2001.07.18. Simple tips for improved ergonomics when using your computer.
- Setting up a personal firewall, 2001.07.11. Protecting your Mac from snoops and vandals on the Internet.
- Basic security for your Mac, 2001.06.27. Protecting your Mac and files from prying eyes.
- Solving simple hardware problems,2001.06.06. Tips for fixing simple hardware problems.
- Writing and editing with MS Word, 2001.05.30. Tips for getting the most out of Microsoft Word on the Mac.
- The no-no's of computer use, 2001.05.23. What not to do to keep your Mac alive and well.
- Make your Mac faster, 2001.05.09. Tips for speeding up your Macintosh.
- Make your own desktop picture, 2001.05.02. Step-by-step instructions for creating your own desktop picture.
- Internet Explorer 5's advanced features, 2001.04.25. Using the advanced features in Internet Explorer 5.
- Organize your files and never lose track of them, 2001.04.18. How to organize your hard drive and use the different views.
- iTunes, Part 2: Burning CDs, 2001.04.11. How to create high quality CDs you can listen to on any CD player.
- iTunes, Part 1: Encode, Organize, Radio, and Play, 2001.04.04. Getting started with iTunes.
- Know your way around the Finder, 2001.03.28. Some very helpful tips to help you use your Mac more efficiently.
- Outlook Express 101, Part 3: Conveniences, 2001.03.21. Final lesson covers attribution, editing, rewrap, sounds, the address book, scripting, and styled email.
- Outlook Express 101, Part 2: Import and Filter, 2001.03.14. How to import email from your old software, and how to set up filters.
- Outlook Express 101, Part 1: The basics, 2001.03.7. How to set up accounts, schedules, signatures, and multiple users.
- Change your Mac's interface, 2001.02.28. If you think the Mac OS interface is boring, here are several ways to change it.
- Speed up Internet Explorer, 2001.02.21. How to get the best performance from the Mac user's favorite browser.
- Personalize and customize Microsoft Word, 2001.02.14. A guide to making Microsoft Word work your way.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ