Mac OS 8.5 issues on Umax SuperMacDan Knight
There are plenty of sites offering installation and troubleshooting advice for Mac OS 8.5 - at least for the Power Mac user. Since neither Apple Computer nor UMAX Corporation provides any support for Mac OS 8.5 on SuperMacs, this page exists to cover problems specifically noted by users of the UMAX SuperMac series of Macintosh compatible computers.
Hard drive crashes and data loss
FWB has not endorsed Hard Disk Toolkit 2.0.6 for Mac OS 8.1, let alone 8.5, preferring that the user buy 2.5.3 or later, which is certified by FWB for Mac OS 8.5. However, 2.0.6 does appear to work with 8.1 - it's working just fine on my J700 with a Quantum Fireball 2.1GB drive. At least one SuperMacs subscriber reports successfully using HDT 2.0.6 on the Fireball with Mac OS 8.5.
Of course, anyone with a C500 or C600 should simply use Drive Setup 1.6 and ignore Hard Disk Toolkit for their IDE drives.
With all the changes in 8.5, it may be wisest to use a driver specifically designed for it, so either HDT 2.5.3 or Drive Setup 1.6 are worth considering, especially since recent versions of Drive Setup seem to be compatible with just about any SCSI drive made.
Since Drive Setup won't run a driver update on top of a non-Apple driver, however, the only way to get the 1.6 driver on a drive would be to reformat the disk with Drive Setup, then install Mac OS 8.5 on that disk and allow it to update the Apple hard disk drivers during the installation process.
One subscriber notes,
- "That's the avenue I'm personally going to take. A low-level format on a second hard drive, followed by a full installation of 8.5, leaving the drive on which 8.1 resides completely untouched. Anyone who simply runs the 8.5 installer on their drive and doesn't update the driver with one known to be good with 8.5 - be it from Apple or some update from FWB - is, in my opinion, taking a serious risk."
MacInTouch has a page with one user's theory that the problem stems from non-Mac OS partitions.
Twin Turbo problems
The J700 and S900 models use an IX Micro Twin Turbo video card. Twin Turbo software through version 4.0.5 is not fully compatible with Mac OS 8.5. One SuperMacs subscriber reports losing resolution settings and needing to reinstall the software frequently.
You can download the latest version of the driver (4.0.6 as I write this) from IX Micro at <http://www.ixmicro.com/1index_wnew.htm>. Since I don't yet have Mac OS 8.5, I can't determine whether it resolves the problems that have been noted.
Recent Online Tech Journal Columns
- Optimized Software Builds Bring Out the Best in Your Mac, 2009.06.30. Applications compiled for your Mac's CPU can load more quickly and run faster than ones compiled for universal use.
- Low End Mac's Safe Sleep FAQ, 2009.06.15. What is Safe Sleep mode? Which Macs support it? How can you enable or disable it? And more.
- The Original Macintosh, 2009.01.12. An in-depth look at the original Macintosh and how it shaped future Macs.
- More in the Online Tech Journal index.
Links for the Day
- Mac of the Day: PowerBook 5300, introduced 1995.08.25. The first PowerPC PowerBook - known for flaming performance.
- June 19 in LEM history: 00: Mac software not 'as pathetic as it could be' - 01: Hate Windows? Get a Mac - Little payments, big business - 02: Undoing years of Mac evangelism? - 03: Back on the low-end TiBook - 06: Pimping my PowerBook G4 - 07: Safari for Windows not a slam dunk success - 08: What about the iPod touch? - Falling for the Sony Alpha α200
- Support Low End Mac
Recent Content on Low End Mac
- World Book Encyclopedia 2012 DVD, Tommy Thomas, Reviews, 2013.03.05. "You may be asking yourself, in an age of Wikipedia and instant information, is World Book still relevant?"
- Vintage Computer Festival SouthEast, April 20-21, 2013, Simon Royal, Mac Spectrum, 2013.02.25. Old Apple gear and old PCs.
- iMessage: The Ultimate Messaging Service?, Simon Royal, Mac Spectrum, 2013.02.21. In most ways, Apple's iMessage is far superior to BlackBerry Messenger.
- More links in our archive.
- Best Mac mini Deals
- Best 13" MacBook Pro Deals
- Best Intel iMac Deals
- Best iPod touch Deals
- Best iPhone Deals
- Best iPod nano Deals
- Best iPod classic Deals
- Best Apple TV Prices
- More deals in our archive.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ