Power Mac Index
Recent Content on Low End Mac
- World Book Encyclopedia 2012 DVD, Tommy Thomas, Reviews, 2013.03.05. "You may be asking yourself, in an age of Wikipedia and instant information, is World Book still relevant?"
- Vintage Computer Festival SouthEast, April 20-21, 2013, Simon Royal, Mac Spectrum, 2013.02.25. Old Apple gear and old PCs.
Latest Deals on Low End Mac
Around the Web
- Advice: OS X: Disable your v-sync, PowerPC Liberation, 2013.04.23. A tip for vastly improving graphics performance on OS X 10.5 Leopard with PPC hardware.
- Opinion: Four years later, iWork apps need Apple's attention, Peter Cohen, iMore, 2013.05.08. First released in January 2009, Keynote, Numbers, and Pages have seen minor updates - but not a major update in over 4 years now.
- Opinion: Doomed Apple Is World's Number One PC Maker, with a Snow Leopard Problem, Jonny Evans, Compuerworld, 2013.02.07. Apple has a problem. People keep on using old Macs while Apple wants them to upgrade. 15% of our readers still use PPC Macs, 6.4% Intel OS X 10.4 or 10.5, and 21.4% 10.6!
- Web: Low End Mac Community on Google+, Google+, 2012.12.22. We've got over 1,250 members at our Facebook change, and G+ now allows communities, so let's see how this plays out.
- Advice: What the End of Google Sync Means to You, Joe Kissell, Macworld, 2012.12.22. If you're using Google Sync, you can continue doing so, but adding a new iOS device might be an issue.
- History: On the PowerBook G3, Stephen Hackett, 512 Pixels, 2012.12.20. "Like the iMac G3, the PowerBook G3 line of notebooks helped revive Apple in the late 90s and the first year of the 21st century."
- Opinion: Why I Refuse to Use Linux on My Macintosh, Taylor Almond, MMC, 2012.12.22. "...Linux on PowerPC Macs is just not an enjoyable experience."
- Advice: Time Capsule for $25, Iurii Garmash, Programmer Blog, 2012.11.27. How to configure Raspberry Pi and a USB hard drive to work as a Time Capsule drive.
- History: Apple's Mouse: A History, Stephen Hackett, 512 Pixels, 2012.11.27. A visual history of Apple's mouse from the 1983 Lisa to the present.
- Advice: One Mac, Two Versions of OS X, Christopher Breen, , 2012.11.21. A couple ways to run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on the same Mac.
- History: iTunes Through the Ages, Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica, 2012.11.23. iTunes 1.0 arrived in January 2001, before the launch of Mac OS X - and before the iPod. It's grown a lot since the days of "Rip. Mix. Burn."
- Analysis: Out of the Box, James Gowans, 2012.11.21. "Does iOS ship with everything you need out of the box?" Almost.
- History: On the Apple Pippin, Stephen Hackett, 512 Pixels, 2012.11.18. "With the Wii U's release this weekend, I thought it would be fun to look at Apple's  foray in to the gaming console market."
- Opinion: Microsoft Cheapens Windows 8 with Ads, Paul Thurrott, Supersite for Windows, 2012.11.10. Get Windows 8 for $40 - but have to deal with ads when you use it. Really?
- News: Mac OS 9 Lives, , 2012.11.06. New website for those using Mac OS 9. Looks like a useful resource.
Power Mac Resources
- Guide to Power Mac G4Upgrades
- Guide to G3 Daughter Cards
- Guide to G4 Daughter Cards
- Guide to G3 ZIF Upgrades
- Guide to G4 ZIF Upgrades
- Guide to G3 NuBus Upgrades
- Guide to G3 Level 2 Upgrades
- G3 (beige) motherboard
Be sure to see the list of dealers whobuy, sell, or broker used and/or refurbished Macintoshhardware.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ