This index covers the entire Macs II series, from the68020-based Mac II of 1987 through the last 68030-based Mac IImodels. Models are listed by MacBench score, which approximatesreal world performance. Speedometer score is CPU rating relative toClassic (1.0 on Speedometer3) and Quadra 605 (1.0 onSpeedometer 4).
- Got a Mac II or other vintage Mac? Join the Vintage Macs email list.
|model||MacBench (v. SE)||Speedometer 3/4||MIPS|
|IIci||3.5, 4.3 w/cache||7.0/||6.3|
8•24 GC video card
Guide to the Mac II Series
- Macintosh IIFamily Technical Overview, darknerd, Angelfire. Some excellent,rarely discussed technical details on the whole Mac II lineup.
- NuBus Video Cards, ChrisLawson. We've added profiles for many Apple, Radius, and SuperMacvideo cards.
- Vintage Macs provide a lessdistracting writing environment, Brian Richards, Advantage Mac,2007.09.18. A Mac OS X user finds an old Macintosh IIsi and discoversthe joy of writing undisturbed by music, messaging, and streamingcontent.
- Benchmark: Mac OS 8.1 onthe "wicked fast" Mac IIfx, 8/31. Not only does it work, butperformance is excellent.
- Benchmarks: Mac OS8.1 on a IIci, 8/30. Does Mac OS 8.1 on an '040 acceleratedIIci make sense?
- Games for '030s, BrianRumsey, Low End Mac Gaming, 5/26. A look at games that run nicelyon the old 68030-based Macs.
- System 6 for the Macintosh, Ruud Dingemans. If you have an older,slower, memory-limited Mac, System 6 is fast, stable, and still veryusable.
- Classic Macs IRC channel. Details at <http://www.unitus.ml.org/jkaplan/irc.html>
- Pseud040 lets 68020-and 68030-based Macs run 68040 programs - I've even heard ofMac OS 8.1 running on aIIsi!
- Unix? You can run NetBSD(aka MacBSD), a version of Unix, on every Mac II except theIIfx.
- The Once and Future Mac286 Page on theWeb, John Rushmeyer. All about the AST Mac286 card.
- RAM Charger from Jump Development($40) lets you get the most out of your RAM - especially helpfulon Macs with 8 MB or less. By launching applications using theminimum amount of memory they need, RAM Charger lets you run moreprograms. It also works well with RAM Doubler. You can evendownload a demo.
- Apple discontinued support and parts orders for most of thesemodels 1998.08.31. You may be able to find dealers with partsinventory either locally or on our parts and service list.
Be sure to see the list of dealers who buy, sell, or broker usedand/or refurbished Macintosh hardware.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ