Overclocking iBooks, New Notebook Cases, Price Drops on FW/USB 2.0 Drives, and More
Except as noted, prices are in US dollars.
- Willow Titanium Case
- Dr. Bott ships iCase12 and iCase12 Plus
- Overclocking iBooks to 800 MHz
- iPod SportSuit Case
- SmartDisk Introduces USB 2.0 Versions of Its FireLite 20, 30, and 40 GB Portable Hard Drives
- Reductions On DesktopGB FireWire/USB2 Drives
- Bargain 'Books
The Willow Titanium Case has been specifically designed to maximize the protection of your Titanium and to compactly carry the accessories that are a part of your working system - all in a stylish, clean looking parcel protected by sturdy outer foam walls reinforced with corrugated plastic and a hardboard bottom.
Willow Titanium Case Features
- excellent protection for your Titanium G4 afforded by 1.2cm (0.5") foam reinforced by corrugated plastic on the upper display side, high density polyethylene reinforcement on the handle side and 4mm (1/8") hardboard on the bottom.
- clean, lightweight and flexible design with a multiple compartments to carry all your accessories.
- superb comfort insured by a thick, reinforced padded handle and wide contoured shoulder strap.
- double thickness high density briefcase handle polyethylene reinforcement with quadruple rivet reinforcing through wrap handle to insure the safety of your laptop.
- convenient DVD, CD-ROM & cable pockets located in the laptop section for easy access plus extra room for manuals or other letter sized paperwork on lower accessory level.
- simple outer front organizer panel with pockets business cards, pens, pencils, etc.
- outside flat, outer pocket for airline tickets, thin paperwork, etc.
- flat external rear pocket especially handy for maps, magazines or newspapers.
- easily removable horizontal divider for the Titanium G4 which doubles as a comfortable and convenient laptop work surface with special foam spacer to maximize airflow cooling.
- extra protection for the display screen afforded by corrugated plastic layer and extra 0.5 cm (1/4") protective space between Titanium and laptop lid level.
- three separate Velcroed elastic straps to lock down Titanium G4, adapter and accessories and extra items.
- handy mesh pocket in the lid for safe and convenient storage of cables or other thin items.
- luggage feet riveted through the hardboard bottom of the case which actually keep it up and off the ground when you want to set the case down whilst entering and leaving your vehicle.
- lifetime guarantee against defects in materials or craftsmanship.
Pricing: $185 Cdn./$120 U.S.
iCase12 offers unsurpassed safety in transporting Apple's 12" iBook. It takes all your computing on the go needs into account offering storage for AC power, spare battery, iPod, CDs and more. The iCase12 Plus incorporates a carry strap and black side bag that provides room for important papers and extra hardware. iCase 12's Lift-O-matic feet and removable top allow for comfortable use of the iBook without removing it from the case.
"We have to admit that the success of TiCase, our high end case for the Titanium PowerBook surprised us. Soon after releasing TiCase the calls started coming in for a similar case for the iBook. iCase12 is exactly what our customers have been demanding." said Eric Prentice, CEO of Dr. Bott LLC. "It provides the ultimate in security while being functional and elegant."
Compatibility: iCase12 and iCase12 Plus were designed for Apple's 12" iBooks.
Pricing & Availability: iCase12 and iCase12 Plus retail for $299 and $419 respectively and both are available immediately.
Accelerate Your Mac reports that it's possible to goose the 700 MHz IBM 750FX CPU used in the new 2002 iBooks to 800 MHz using a bus/CPU multiplier that can be set via software. (The bus/CPU ratio that determines CPU speed is normally set by resistors.)
Be forewarned that any overclocking voids the warranty, may not be reliable, etc. - all mods like this are done at your own risk.
The Swiss Army knife of iPod cases, the SportSuit Convertible case offers rugged protection for the iPod on the go. The free patented belt clip system's interchangeable clip options and included armband make the SportSuit ideal for jogging or working out. Includes free arm band and spring clip.
The SportSuit for iPod features a shaped lid, which allows for a roomy interior pocket to store your headphones. Joggers can use the pocket to store keys, money, or ID. Earphones or headphones can be used with the lid attached. The FireWire port and hold button can be accessed without completely removing the lid. The formed shape of the lid allows for storage of the earphones without distorting the shape of the case and also accommodates the storage of small folding headphones. The lid can be removed completely from the case.
There is a pocket on the lid for headphone storage. The formed shape of the lid allows for storage of the earphones without distorting the shape of the case. The lid also accommodates the storage of small folding headphones.
The lid can be removed completely from the case.
- Plastic reinforced sides & back for maximum protection
- 2mm neoprene front and back construction
- Vulcanized rubber sides for secure grip
- Removable lid - case can be used with or without lid
- Molded lid with interior pocket for storage of earphones
- Lid offers complete protection for the front of the case when attached
Available Colors: Graphite, Black, Blue, Red and Yellow
SmartDisk Corporation has announced the availability of USB 2.0 versions of its FireLite portable hard drives for consumers and professionals. Available in capacities of 20, 30, and 40 GB, FireLite drives feature outstanding performance and a unique, high tech design with a strong, shock-resistant, lightweight casing.
FireLite drives are designed for professionals and consumers who require convenient, portable storage of vast amounts of data. FireLite drives can be used to backup critical data, transport and synchronize data between multiple computers, and free up valuable hard disk space on existing computers. They are especially convenient for mobile computing platforms. FireLite drives are ideal, for example, for transferring large files between home and office, for storing hours of superior quality video or warehousing huge graphics files. The drives have performance rates that easily allow users to access and use data directly on FireLite without first copying it to a personal computer. They support both USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 host systems, which means that users in transition between the two versions can use a single FireLite on any USB machine.
Featuring a sleek, silver-colored magnesium casing for outstanding durability, FireLite drives are pocket-sized, measuring just 3.25" (W) x 5.0" (D) x 0.75" (H) and weighing just over six (6) ounces. They are "Mass Storage Class" peripherals: they require no driver installation when used with operating systems like Windows XP and Windows Me, Mac OS 9 and Mac OS-X.
"According to a recent report by NPD Techworld, external hard drives like FireLite are the second fastest growing product category demanded by on-line shoppers," said Rod H. King, Senior Vice President, Worldwide Sales and Marketing for SmartDisk. "Our new FireLite drives are positioned to take advantage of this increasing consumer demand for portable storage products."
"FireLite represents the ultimate solution for users seeking an immediate, convenient, highly portable data storage solution," said Mike Goldenberg, Product Marketing Director for SmartDisk. "FireLite drives were designed to provide uncompromising quality, performance and style for consumers. As a result, we believe they are the 'best value' product in their category."
Each FireLite drive ships with Retrospect Express Backup personal backup software for Windows users and Connectix CopyAgent data backup, recovery and synchronization software for Macintosh users. The package also contains an AC adapter, a stacking clip and a protective carrying case.
Suggested retail prices for the FireLite USB 2.0 drives are $199.95 for the 20 GB model, $259.95 for the 30 GB model and $309.95 for the 40 GB model. All models will be available in mid-June through retailers and distributors, as well as through the company's Web site.
WiebeTech announces new pricing on DesktopGB, the extremely high performance, small footprint, quiet, attractive, FireWire/USB1/USB2 desktop drive.
"This new pricing makes DesktopGB a very attractive purchase decision for anyone who wants high speed FireWire or USB2 storage," said James Wiebe, CEO of WiebeTech. "We're now able to offer these multiport storage solutions at about the same price as competitive products that do not have USB ports of any kind. All preconfigured versions feature 7200 RPM drives (not slower 5400 RPM) for fastest possible performance."
New pricing is as follows:
- 0 GB, $109.95
- 60 GB, $199.95
- 80 GB, $219.95
- 120 GB, $299.95
(Basic product includes enclosure, vertical stand, USB2 cable, FireWire cable, and AC adapter.)
DesktopGB is offered in capacities up to 120 GB, or it can be configured easily by the end user. DesktopGB has found a receptive customer base because of its high speed Oxford 911 FireWire interface offering a read transfer rate greater than 30 MB/second.
In the US and Canada, DesktopGB may be purchased from WiebeTech's distributor, DrBott.com, or from dealers.
There are two different versions of WallStreet running at 233 MHz, the cacheless MainStreet version and the later Series II with a level 2 cache. It's not always possible to determine from the vendor's listing which is being offered, so we've included links within this paragraph to the two models.
- PowerBook G4/400, 128/10/DVD/56k / Used/30 Day, $1599.99
- PowerBook Lombard G3/333, 128/6 GB/CD-ROM/14.1", $699. Add a 30 gig drive installed & setup for $105 extra
- PowerBook 1400c/133, 11.3" active matrix, G3 upgradeable, 16/1 GB/floppy, new carrying case included, 30 day warranty, $275. Get an internal CD-ROM drive with the 1400c for $55 extra (total $330)
- PowerBook Pismo G3/500, 128/10 GB/DVD/56k/FireWire/14.1" TFT, $1,379.95
- PowerBook Pismo G3/400, 128/6 GB/DVD/56k/FireWire/14.1" TFT, $1,129.95
- PowerBook 3400c/200, 16/2 GB/floppy, $459
- PowerBook 3400c/180, 82/1 GB/floppy, $479
- PowerBook 1400CS with G3/217 upgrade, 48/750 MB/16 MB video upgrade, $250 (no CD or floppy drives)
- PowerBook 1400C/133, 64/1 GB/CD-ROM/floppy, $377
- PowerBook 1400c with G3/333 upgrade, 64/4 GB/CD-ROM/floppy, $479
Note: Prices from here on down in Canadian dollars
- PowerBook 1400c/166, 32/1.3 GB/CD, $549
- PowerBook G3/333, 128/4 GB/CD/56k Bronze, $1,699
- PowerBook G3/233, 96/2 GB/CD/56k, $1149
- PowerBook G4/500, 256/20 GB/DVD/56k, $2,899
- iBook 600, 128/15 GB/CD-RW/56k, $1,749
- iBook 366, 64/10 GB/CD/56k, $1,599
- PowerBook G3/266, 14.1"/128/4 GB/CD, 30 Day Warranty, $1,199.99
- iBook 300, 160/3 GB/CD/ 56k, 30 Day Warranty, $1,099.99
- PowerBook G3/233, 14.1"/64/2 GB/CD,30 Day Warranty, $999.99
Recent News Roundups
- Tips for New MacBook Users, When (Not) to Buy AppleCare, and More 'Book News, 2012.12.29. Also inside Retina MacBook's asymmetric cooling fans, Windows 8 means lower Windows PC sales, and more 'Book news.
- Confessions of an Apple Store Employee, Refurb Mac Bargains, and More Mac News, 2012.12.29. Also save old RAM when upgrading, latest Geekbench results, use TextEdit as an HTML editor, and more Mac news.
- The Case Against PPC Linux, OS X Tiger on Facebook, ResExcellence Rebirth, and More, 2012.12.22. Also sharing files between OS X, Classic, and Linux; remembering the 20th Anniversary Mac, iMac, SuperDisk, and G3 PowerBooks; and TenFourBird 17 email client released.
- Google Maps #1 iOS App, Android Share Dropped in 2012, New Apps, and More iOS News, 2012.12.22. Also Google Maps drives users to adopt iOS 6, Walmart iDevice price rollback, Easilydo life assistant, waterproof iPhone 5 case, and more iOS news.
- 2012 a Year of Great Change in Apple Portables, Desktop to MacBook, and More 'Book News, 2012.12.22. Also can an iPad replace your MacBook?, EFI update for 13" Retina MacBook Pro, $249 Matrox Thunderbolt dock with video output, and more 'Book news.
- Apple Services Status Monitor, Macs Users the Most Charitable, and More Mac News, 2012.12.22. Also Yahoo mail viewed as platform neutral, EFI update for Late 2012 iMacs, Logos and Photoshop Elements sales, and more Mac news.
- iPhone 5 Is Time's Gadget of the Year, Fundamental iOS 6 Complaints, and More iOS News, 2012.12.17. Also former Mac evangelist an Android fan, iPad changes the way you write, Microsoft Surface falling flat, Google Maps for iOS 6, and more iOS news.
- More in the 'Book Review index.
Links for the Day
- Mac of the Day: Quadra 950, introduced 1992.05.18. Apple's huge tower has 5 NuBus slots and runs a 33 MHz 68040 processor.
- May 18 in LEM history: 92: Quadra 950 - 99: OS 8.6 more stable - 00: What can you squeeze into a compact Mac? - 01: Friendly LC 500s - Leaving Win2k behind - 05: OS X 10.4.1 update - A new PowerBook with Tiger - Tiger: Lots to like, but some annoyances - 06: 400K floppy click of death - I wish Apple were more like Microsoft - 07: 9.9% notebook market share
- Support Low End Mac
Recent Content on Low End Mac
- World Book Encyclopedia 2012 DVD, Tommy Thomas, Reviews, 2013.03.05. "You may be asking yourself, in an age of Wikipedia and instant information, is World Book still relevant?"
- Vintage Computer Festival SouthEast, April 20-21, 2013, Simon Royal, Mac Spectrum, 2013.02.25. Old Apple gear and old PCs.
- iMessage: The Ultimate Messaging Service?, Simon Royal, Mac Spectrum, 2013.02.21. In most ways, Apple's iMessage is far superior to BlackBerry Messenger.
- More links in our archive.
- Best Mac mini Deals
- Best 13" MacBook Pro Deals
- Best Intel iMac Deals
- Best iPod touch Deals
- Best iPhone Deals
- Best iPod nano Deals
- Best iPod classic Deals
- Best Apple TV Prices
- More deals in our archive.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ