- Affordable iPhone/iTouch warranty, Bluetooth keyboard driver, photo apps, and more, iNews Review, 12.24. Also Maine legislator wants cancer warnings on cell phones, AOL Radio app delivers CD quality sound, hope for job seekers, powerful Zaggsparq mobile battery and charger, and more.
- 10 top spills that kill laptops, less explosive notebook battery, next gen Atom CPU, and more, The 'Book Review, 12.24. Also Firefox add-on helps locate lost or stolen laptops, iFixit guides released to Creative Commons, BookArc stand turns notebooks into minitower, and more.
- 27" iMac firmware update, USB and SSD data recovery, Online Bible for Snow Leopard, and more, Mac News Review, 12.24. Also upgrading your Mac's hard drive, BackPack shelf for iMacs and Cinema Display, and CaseCruzer 27" iMac carry case.
- Pismo video performance, better YouTube on older Macs, cheap ATA notebook drives, and more, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings, 12.23. Also Pismo PRAM issues, Linux on PowerPC Macs, end of Flash for G3 Macs, recreating a clean install, and more.
- Microsoft is not an unstoppable juggernaut, Dan Knight, Mac Musings, 12.22. Firefox passed Internet Explorer in Germany, and now Firefox 3.5 has passed IE 7 as the most popular browser version.
- State of the fleet: 2009 has been an eventful year, Charles Moore, 'Book Value, 12.22. Two iBooks died, a Unibody MacBook joined the fleet, the 17" PowerBook changed hands, and the Pismos are as reliable as ever.
- Last minute Christmas gift ideas for Mac users, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings, 12.21. Moore looks at eight things that he's reviewed and continues to use - software and accessories from $25 to $70.
- iPhone 'ruining the country', iPhone Syndrome, replace Your iTouch battery, GameHandle, and more, iNews Review, 12.21. Also Chevy Volt to support iPhone apps, BeatTheTraffic app, share eggnog from your iPhone, Bluetooth music receiver, new JVC iPod dock, and more.
- 15" MacBook Pro best laptop of 2009, battery warning for air travelers, paper battery, and more, The 'Book Review, 12.18. Also replacing a MacBook screen, thinner notebook drives, smallest external hard drive, BambooBook case, Ferrari One between netbook and notebook, and more.
- 27" iMac issues, Windows 7 drives users to Apple, Flash support ending for G3 Macs, and more, Mac News Review, 12.18. Also Macs again #1 in reliability, cleaning and disinfecting your Mac, OWC adds 32 GB upgrades for 2009 Mac Pro, MoFi 3G network router to go, and more.
- Belkin router reputation, ATA notebook drives, YouTube on G4 PowerBooks, and more, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings, 12.16. Also Pismo problems, using Spaces to enhance productivity, extensive OS X browser list, ImageWriters on ethernet, and more.
- Market strategy: Apple vs. Microsoft, John Hatchett, Recycled Computing, 12.15. Apple takes a vertical approach to integrating hardware, software, and operating system. Microsoft takes a horizontal approach to dominating the PC industry.
- 1 GB of RAM gives Pismo PowerBook another new lease on life, Charles Moore, 'Book Value, 12.15. Moving from 640 MB of RAM to 1 GB has significantly upgraded performance, and adding an Apple AirPort Card gives it great WiFi range.
- Apple e-reader key to e-book success, iPod touch Is Apple's secret weapon, WaterWear case, and more, iNews Review, 12.11. Also Dragon Dictation comes to iPhone, secure payment system, headphones for women, the 6 best smartphones, and more.
- Apple tops in 'book reliability, best SSDs, the Hackintosh dilemma, Apple updates, and more, The 'Book Review, 12.11. Also how to buy a laptop, Microsoft vs. Apple, Seagate to launch thinner hard drives, WiFi range extenders, free motion alarm, and more.
- Danish cops use Macs, Mac Pro hits 3.33 GHz, data on problematic Late 2009 iMacs, and more, Mac News Review, 12.11. Also Intel i3 specs leaked, dedicated keypad for Gmail users, HK's crystal speaker system, California may side with Apple on smoker's warranties, and more.
- Why use Spaces?, chemical sensitivity and older electronics, replacing HyperCard, and more, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings, 12.09. Also Tex-Edit Plus is being rewritten in Cocoa, connecting old printers to new Macs with affordable adapters, and more.
- My New Mac: Snow Leopard Edition is a great introduction to the Mac, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings, 12.08. If you're new to the Mac or know someone who is, this project-based book can help you get up to speed with OS X quickly.
- Pismo a high point in Apple desing, pros and cons of Leopard on Pismo, and more, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings, 12.03. Also going the full 1 GB in Pismo, reviving 'dead' $50 Pismos found one eBay, and still loving the PowerBook 1400.
- Modify gloves for iPhone use, universal remote system for iPod touch and iPhone, bicycle mount, and more, iNews Review, 12.07. Also high dynamic range app for iPhone camera, route directions for cyclists, eBuddy goes pro, USB hub with dock connector, and more.
- Apple sues over copycat AC adapter, a portable docking station, glass trackpad tips, and more, The 'Book Review, 12.04. Also Apple tablet may be 'shockingly' inexpensive, turning off Sudden Motion Sensor, solar charging for all MacBooks, Airlock security, and more.
- Half of desktop dollars go to Apple, Firefox tops IE in Germany, Creature speakers return, and more, Mac News Review, 12.04. Also OS and browser market share for November, Psystar settlement may leave door open for intall-it-yourself OS X clones, USB 3.0 and Macs, iMac and Mac mini reviews, and more.
- To Hackintosh or not to Hackintosh?, John Hatchett, Recycled Computing, 12.03. Apple doesn't make a netbook, and it would be so cool to have 'Leopard' on one. But is it morally right to put OS X on a Dell?
- Thumbs up for Logitech V550, picking the right MacBook, WiFi networking tips, and more, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings, 12.03. Also too early for Apple to abandon PowerPC support, Belkin router problems, Linksys router praise, and Dell Truemobile 1350 WiFi CardBus card.
- Leaving MobileMe behind, Dan Knight, Mac Musings, 12.01. After nearly 10 years with a mac.com email address, it's time I stopped renewing my $99/year MobileMe subscription.
- Further upgrading my Pismo PowerBooks, Charles Moore, 'Book Value, 12.01. Both Pismos already have larger, faster hard drives, higher capacity batteries, and 576 MB or 640 MB of RAM. Thoughts on upgrading to 1 GB and running Leopard.
2009 Dec., Nov., Oct., Sept., Aug., July, June, May, Apr., Mar., Feb., Jan.
2008 Dec., Nov., Oct., Sept., Aug., July, June, May, Apr., Mar., Feb., Jan.
2007 Dec., Nov., Oct., Sept., Aug., July, June, May, Apr., Mar., Feb., Jan.
2006 Dec., Nov., Oct., Sept., Aug., July, June, May, Apr., Mar., Feb., Jan.
2005 Dec., Nov., Oct., Sept., Aug., July, June, May, Apr., Mar., Feb., Jan.
2004 Dec., Nov., Oct., Sept., Aug., July, June, May, Apr., Mar., Feb., Jan.
2003 Dec., Nov., Oct., Sept., Aug., July, June, May, Apr., Mar., Feb., Jan.
2002 Dec., Nov., Oct., Sept., Aug., July, June, May, Apr., Mar., Feb., Jan.
2001 Nov.-Dec., Sept.-Oct, July-Aug., April-June, Jan.-Mar.
2000 Sept.-Dec., May-Aug., Jan.-March
1999 July-Dec., Jan.-June, 1998, 1997
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ