May 18 in Apple and Low End Mac History
- 1993: 33 MHz Quadra 950
- 2010: 13" MacBook (May 2010). The white MacBook gets a 2.4 GHz CPU and nVidia GeForce 320M graphics.
- OS 8.6 makes iMac more stable, Evan Kleiman, Mac Happens. "OS 8.6 does more than just stopping some crashes. It also makes your PowerBook's battery last longer, and it improves some existing programs, such as Sherlock. Plus, some things will run a bit faster."
- It isn't censorship, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. "Parents and our governments have a vested interest in protecting them from harmful influences...."
- What can you squeeze into a compact Mac?, Adam Robert Guha, Apple Archive. There's still life in those little Macs.
- A day with a typewriter, Jeff Adkins, The Lite Side. A computer user's introduction to that most remarkable device, the typewriter.
- The friendly 500 series, Adam Robert Guha, Apple Archive. A look at the compact, friendly, inexpensive LC and Performa 500 series.
- Leaving cold Win2k behind, Jim Champlin, My First Mac. After using a Mac, Windows is cold and impersonal.
- Giving a Power Center Pro a second life, Michel Munger, Mac Daniel. Dealing with OS upgrades, hard disk drivers, reading CD-R/CD-RW, and coming back from 1956.
- BookEndz for TiBook, 512 MB for TiBook, AC adapter for Newest 'Books, and more, Charles Moore. Bargain 'Books, BookEndz for the TiBook, compact power for TiBook/iceBook, and more.
- Special Report: Mac OS X 10.4.1 Update, Mac News Review. What the OS X 10.4.1 Update is supposed to fix and where to find it.
- Hands on: A new PowerBook with Tiger, Jeff Adkins, Mac Lab Report. The new 15" PowerBook has some nice improvements over the titanium model, and Tiger is icing on the cake.
- Tiger: Lots to like, but some annoyances as well, Alan Zisman, Mac2Windows. Tiger seems to be faster and has some great new features, but there are a few things to watch out for as well.
- 3 GHz PowerPC game console madness, Anne Onymus, Rumor Mill. $400 game systems are going to have far more power than most Macs. How can we take advantage of that power?
- The Aperture 1.1 update fiasco: Stock Power Mac G5 Dual and Quad video no longer recommended, Dan Knight, Mac Musings. "The normal configuration of Apple's three current Power Mac models includes Nvidia GeForce 6600 graphics, the original version of Aperture supported it, but with the update it's no longer recommended."
- Life after the 400K click of death, A. Daniel King, Online Tech Journal. What to do when your 400K floppy drive will no longer read and write disks.
- Why I wish Apple were more like Microsoft, Jamie Gruener, My Turn. When Macs work, they're wonderful. But when you have to troubleshoot them, Apple leaves you on your own.
- Real claims half of iPod music stolen, iPhone rumors, luminous cable winder, iWood cases, and more, iPod News Review. Also Australia and UK legalizing ripping, flat fee "Made for iPod" program, church gives away iPods, white leather dress for iPod Hi-Fi, stopwatch software for the iPod, and more.
- No sub-$1,000 'Books, Core Duo overclocked to 3.8 GHz, another Windows on Mac contender, and more, The Macintel Report. MacBook eliminates last $999 iBook, Intel Macs are two computers in one, Apple got Intel right, Intel pushing Centrino 4, and more.
- Tough iPod protection: YoTank's iTank Nano 2 case, Tommy Thomas, Welcome to Macintosh. This iPod case is made from machined aluminum, held together with hex bolts, and has a Lexan cover to protect the screen.
- MacBook improved, Apple's 9.9% notebook market share, 3 GB MacBook upgrade, and more, The 'Book Review. Also Apple acknowledges MacBook cracks, flash MacBook confirmed, sleek portable hard drive designed by Pininfarina, CoolBook software, bargain 'Books from $170 to $2,299, and more.
- Italy's 'Vintage Mac' museum, guide to external drives, pray the rosary on your iPod, and more, Mac News Review. Also Lexar's secure JumpDrive with a capacity meter, NewerTech's RAID 1 drive, CrossOver Mac updated, iSoftPhone, and more.
- Zeppelins return to the sky to promote Disney-Pixar's UP, Charles Moore, Miscellaneous Ramblings. Although best remembered for the Hindenburg disaster, Zeppelin airships have a long and safe history, especially after switching to helium.
- Apple rights and wrongs, Austin Leeds, Apple Everywhere. Does Apple have the right to control App Store content, limit OS X to its hardware, steal technology, and keep trade secrets?
- 13" MacBook (May 2010). The white MacBook gets a 2.4 GHz CPU, nVidia GeForce 320M graphics, and up to 10 hours of wireless productivity.
- OWC's Legacy SSD tested in Mirrored Drive Door Power Mac G4, Dan Knight, Mac Daniel. G4 Power Macs don't have built-in SATA support, and most SSDs are SATA devices. OWC's legacy SSDs work on the older Mac's IDE bus.
- Flashback Removal Update for OS X 10.5 Leopard, Dropbox Pick of the Cloud Litter, and More, Mac News Review. Also Kodak Hero supports wireless printing from anywhere, WonOnX lets you run Windows apps on Macs, and free Mac Malware Remover.
Low End Mac Reader Specials
Cult of Mac
Shrine of Apple
The Mac Observer
Accelerate Your Mac
The Vintage Mac Museum
Mac Driver Museum
System 6 Heaven
System 7 Today
the pickle's Low-End Mac FAQ